Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back to school!

I wish I could show something new that I have made recently, but it just has not happened!  Last Saturday and Sunday, I spent the day in a class taught by Harriet Hargrave.  She does amazing heirloom quilting on her Bernina...she is not a long-arm quilter.  I learned a lot.  That being said, she tossed out the idea that we would not be able to master the art of maching quilting unless we practiced for the next 6 months, and did not piece another quilt top.  It is very hard for me to stay focused, so maybe this will sharpen my skills at being more focused.  I tend to get caught up in making blocks and quilts, and have not got as many quilted as I would like.  I can do free-motion quilting, but I sometimes think I would like my quilts to look more hand-quilted.  There are a few tubs of quilt tops sitting in the closet...guess I should dig them out and see what I can accomplish!  It is hard for me to decide what design I want on the quilt, then to get it marked so that I cans see it!  Patience...focus...right?
It was back to school for Jordyn...cannot believe she is in the 1st grade!  I love the dress she chose to wear for the first day of school, and this is her first year of riding the school bus. 
She loved it...she is very social!


Caleb started Kindergarton this year.  He has decided that it is ok...he has his own desk and most importantly,  they get two recesses!

OK...off to mark a little quilt to get some practice work done. 
Can't imagine that I will put piecing aside for very long, what do you think?

10 comments:

Miss Hillbilly said...

Thanks for stopping by!

I love to make large quilts...but I am not good at quilting, and I don't want to have a bunch sitting around waiting on a long arm..so I stick with manageable size.

Logan was from Pleasant Hill.

Do you know anything about Hazel Grove? Email me and we can chat a bit when you have time.
hillbillyhandiworks@gmail.com

Lynda said...

Recess is the BEST! I hope you have good luck with your own machine quilting. I have tried a few small things and I know for sure that I need a lot more practice.

Judi said...

I never got into regular machine quilting but give me a longarm and panto and I go to town.

My grandkids went back to school on Wednesday, it's hard to believe summer is almost over.

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Our grandchildren will start school next week, where did the summer go??? Your grandchildrens pictures are darling!

Best of luck with machine quilting, I do small quilts and I am happy with them.

Carolyn

Karen said...

Hope you enjoyed your class with Harriet- she's amazing isn't she?
Great photo.
Loved the pix of the gkiddies.
I remember back to school...
wow! Seems like centuries ago. Now I'll just have to wait another 4 years and I can go thru it all again with the grandson *smile*
Karen

annieb said...

Like you I am more about the process of choosing fabric, cutting, and sewing blocks...not so much about the completion of a quilt...so sounds like you will have a hard time staying focused...good luck!!!

Karen said...

I like the Feathered Star quilt that is in the frame.
Also, I like the black corners on your pictures. I have not seen that before.

Shay said...

No new quilts for 6 months ? I would die.

I'm more about the concept and dvelopment than the actual quilting. That being said I only quilt by machine and at the moment only in variations of straight lines. I'm about to give FM a crack. It may not be pretty though!

Your grandkids are sweeties.

magirite said...

Darling grandkids! Good luck with your quilting. Sounds interesting.

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What cute kiddos (smile)! Oh, the quilting class sounds great - that is something I really need to work on, too! Think you'll like our Charming Theme this time around. Can't wait to see your quilting!